Variations Not Working After SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 Upgrade
A customer had a SharePoint 2010 site collection that we upgraded to SharePoint 2013.
The variation pages propagation jobs were set to run every three minutes.
The publish of an existing page in the variation root caused a “Started…Finished” propagation log entry with no information about the child variations:
- Page update variations was automatically started for page http://foo/sites/TestPub/en-us/Pages/default.aspx.
- Page update variations finished for page http://foo/sites/TestPub/en-us/Pages/default.aspx.
The publishing of a new page in the variation root showed the “Started…Finished” message, along with the information about the child variation pages:
- Page update variations was automatically started for page http://foo/sites/TestPub/en-us/Pages/test1.aspx.
- Page http://foo/sites/TestPub/de-de/Pages/test1.aspx has been updated with new content by the variation system.
- Page http://foo/sites/TestPub/fr-fr/Pages/test1.aspx has been updated with new content by the variation system.
- Page update variations finished for page http://foo/sites/TestPub/en-us/Pages/test1.aspx.
It turns out that there is a very important hidden property called NotificationMode on the Variation Label page that seems to be set to null during upgrade.
This NotificationMode property needs to:
1. Have a value for Variations to propagate;
2. Be set to true on the item in the list that is the root label;
3. Be set to false on child variations in the list.
Here is the KB article that contains a powershell script to run to fix NotificationMode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2925599
- Posted in: SharePoint